Friday, September 24, 2010

Up and down and around the French Alps

There was no way around it. Lyudmila and I were forced to start out on a busy highway before we could venture off on our own down small country roads. This proved to be our first bonding experience.

Now granted, I was the one who put the junk in Lyudmila's trunk but certainly she could have tried to handle it with a little more class on the first day. We weren't a 100 meters into the journey on the main drag when a Mack truck passed. Still working out the jitters of life on the road, i got a little jerky with the handle bars, that set in motion a vicious commotion behind me, I stole a quick glance to see if two midgets were mud-wrestling on the back of the bike.

After repositioning some of the excess... umm... crap that I have decided to hump over the Alps, things seemed to settle down in the back and Lyudmila and I have enjoyed our time together ever since (more or less).

Here's a quick review of my recent accommodations, you know, trying to be like those fancy websites who rate the quailty of stay for hotels across the world.
Check-in went smooth enough, sure it was a little tricky rappelling with my stuff down the steep embankment but this little gem of a location, hidden from the road, was too good to pass up.
The shower, the pool, whatever you wish to call it was clean and fresh. Perfect after a long day on the bike. Sure, the hot water wasn't working but beggars can't be choosers.

The restaurant near the pool provided everything I was looking for. Comfortable chair, fresh baguette, meat, cheese and maybe a little wine, all with a view of the river.
The bed sufficed. I'm not going to rave about the cool breeze that found its way through the window all night. But the price (free) was right so chalk up the chill to a cultural experience.
My stay even included a continental breakfast! Although nothing says good morning like a 1000 meter climb over a moutain pass.
And finally, a few pics from the road. To say this part of the world is beautiful is a wicked understatment. I only hope some of the images below capture part of what the French Alps have to offer. And on a side note, I never would have expected Lyudmila to be so photogenic.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

amazing! What an adventure and you made it happen.

MJ said...

I'm so happy to see that Lyudmila has some saddle bags; for the first time in history they are welcomed! Phew. I was so worried about this epic adventure. I am so happy for you. Enjoy the rest of your journey and I can't wait to see more!! x

Jennie said...

Brad, you never cease to amaze me, or to bring a smile to my face. I love the story about your cycling accomodations. Imagine, such an inexpensive place including a free breakfast! :)

Wishing you all the best on the remainder of yoru journey and looking forward to hearing where Lyudmila takes you! ~ Jen

Travis Nichols said...

Not only is the path you chose full of wonder and beauty but I wonder how you kept all of those gypsy style attachments on Lyumila!

Search This Blog