Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Life on the road with Lyudmila

I awoke this morning under the centuries old roof of this farm house in Provence for the last time. Today begins a new adventure. Biking over the Alps to visit my friend in Torino. Loading my stuff on the back of my bike I was reminded by the words of Sir Ernest Shackleton who put an ad in the London newspaper before the ill-fated journey of the Endurance:


Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.

I rescued Lyudmila (a dusty, lonely bike in a dark garage) from her french owner a few days ago, with some minor repairs she seems (at least at mile 0), up to the challenge. We go forward, in search of a new beginning, heading out into the unknown, hoping to see amazing sights, take some great photos, and meet interesting people along the way.

Of course I will not be alone, the first part of my journey I will be joined by my good friend Tom Kingen. His passion for life has guided me for many years and I look forward to reconnecting with him on the road.

No comments:

Search This Blog